Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Blink 182

The kids are all keyed up because Blink 182 reunited at the Grammy's, announcing they'd be recording new music and touring again. I'm glad they're friends again and I'll support their new stuff because I'm programmed to, but this reunion is about one thing: the money. "Oh really," you'll say, sarcastically. I know, i know, I'm probably not taking a rare stance. But what I do have that you won't find on any message board is a thesis, which I intend to prove in a series of posts. And don't kid yourself, Blink 182 stands to make Green Day type money with their reunion tour, an amount that will be more than their current projects (+44, AvA, and whatever Travis does) combined.

Blink 182 supposedly broke up because of strained relationships between band members, but they ultimately needed to be broken up because they couldn't successfully mesh their independently evolved musical tastes. Maybe that was the reason for the strained relationship, and now that those relationships have been mended (thanks to Travis' near-death experience) people think reuniting will bring back the old Blink. It wouldn't be a mistake if it were a genuine attempt to bring back the music that made them famous, but I don't think it is. It's just a money play in a tough economy. And I'll buy front row seats to the concert, and I hope I'm wrong.

No response to “Blink 182”