Monday, October 26, 2009

Weird Al at the Valley Forge Music Fair

Speaking of my first concert ever, it was "Weird Al's" fifth stop of the 125+ show "Bad Hair Day Tour." His single "Amish Paradise" was pretty big at the time, enjoying a regular rotation of plays on The Box, and his "hits" from the 80s were making a comeback as a result. So it stands to reason that his concert was something I wanted to see, rather than something I was being forced into, and from what I can remember it was a decent entry point into the world of live music. I remember Yankovic making multiple costume changes throughout the performance, including a less involved version of the "Fat" Suit he wore for his parody of Michael Jackson's "Bad." Luckily I didn't carry with me the irrational expectation that all concerts should include costume changes. I also remember really wanting to hear his parody of the Kinks' "Lola," called "Yoda" but having to wait until the last song to hear it. My first encore! Aside from that, I remember what the venue looked like. It seemed huge to me at the time, and comfortable since there were seats. Seats! A luxury I wouldn't again have at a concert until just two weeks ago at the Dead Man's Bones show at the Church. Unfortunately I never saw a show there again (because it closed not long after) and I had completely forgotten (or not cared) where it even was.

But now, every day when I go to work I travel roads that remind me of that concert. The problem is that I've never been sure of whether or not they actually are those same roads we took to get there way back when because as a 5th grader I would have had no idea where I was. I just see certain landmarks. An overpass, an intersection, a parking lot, all somehow reminding me of that Weird Al concert. They look different yet at the same time similar to the vague memories I still have. It turns out that my suspicions have been correct, but nowadays what once was the spot of the Music Fair is now a Giant supermarket. Kind of sad, really. From the history I've read it seemed to be the perfect west suburban Philadelphia concert venue.

No response to “Weird Al at the Valley Forge Music Fair”