Monday, October 26, 2009

Rock Shows

A few friends and I were discussing earlier today the first ever concerts we'd been to. It's probably a topic that reveals a lot about a person, no? For me, the first real show that I saw with friends was at the Electric Factory on May 13, 2001. I saw my all-time sentimental favorite band MxPx headline a rare daytime (2pm) show with Good Charlotte and Ultimate Fakebook supporting. It was a double date, which was weird, but I remember it seeming at the time like there could be no better show ever. Well, that thought has since changed, but I still count it among the top 5 favorites if just for the context of my being there and the age (16) I was. Life is awesome at 16. To this day I've never seen another daytime show, and I suspect that the 2pm start was the main reason I was able to justify going in the first place. It was also the first and only time I've seen a band randomly allow a fan to come up on stage to play one of their instruments during a song. It was the bass part of the song "Chick Magnet" which, as you can hear below (in a live version), is an important part of the song.

But that wasn't my real first concert. I proudly tell everyone that my real first concert was "Weird Al" Yankovic on May 29, 1996. I leave the date out when I tell people this, of course. I just looked that up today because I wanted to know which venue I had seen him at. Apparently it was a place called Valley Forge Music Fair.

No response to “Rock Shows”