Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Room for Two

Well, folks, I've done it. I've searched to the end of the internets and googled all that I could google but have yet to find any article or reference to the actor Jesse Eisenberg (above, left) that doesn't in some way compare him to Michael Cera or attempt to spark debate as to who is the better actor. It makes sense, I suppose, since their act is the same. They both play the role of nerdy, neurotic teenager well. But since Cera's been doing it since Arrested Development, Eiseneberg is tagged as the "poor man's Cera" or the "Jewish Cera." As a loyalist to all things Arrested Development even I have found myself choosing sides without proper basis. But now that I've seen Adventureland and Zombieland (two unrelated "land-based" films, I promise) I can say with conviction: let's just appreciate them both.

The key to their act is that it seems authentic, as if they are actually that neurotic in real life, which they probably are. So until either one of them decides to mistakenly take on roles which require range, I say the award for "Best Michael Cera" stays split.

HERE is the trailer for Adventureland if you've never even heard of this Eisenberg guy. Or maybe you already saw it and thought it was Michael Cera.

No response to “Room for Two”