Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Olympics



Is it only the American "medal trackers" like this one that seemingly base Olympic success on total medals won?

I guess it's a logical way of reporting the scores, but I think I'd rather see reported in a way that gives less credit to the 2nd and 3rd place athletes. In my system, I'd show most gold medals won and only that, because after all, it's about winning, right? "Wrong," you say? It's about competing? Fine. Let's assign a point score to the medals. 1 for bronze, 2 for silver, 3 for gold. See who comes out on top. Using that method it seems the standings stay largely the same, but at least the "total medals" nonsense is taken out of the equation.

USA - 70 pts
GER - 63
CAN - 61
NOR - 49
AUS - 30 (that's AustRIA)
S.K - 32
RUS - 26
CHN - 23
SWE - 23
SWZ - 21

Not much movement, but with this scoring South Korea jumps Russia for 6 (shameful) and the Swiss jump over France for 10th. Regardless, blasphemy or not I think Canada won the Olympics.

No response to “Olympics”