Monday, March 15, 2010

Almost Alice

Saw Alice in Wonderland over the weekend. It was okay, not great. I think it helped that I had completely erased from my mind any preemptive notion of the story left behind from childhood. No expectations for a Tim Burton movie might be the best way to attack one. Visuals are fantastic, though I think I'm completely done with this 3D novelty at this point. It's just not a great value for the money.

Anyway, though the film is worth seeing, when it's all said and done the real triumph for me is the soundtrack. Not the Danny Elfman one (though I'm sure that's great too), but the "alternative music" accompanying soundtrack called Almost Alice, which has some surprisingly great tracks from Robert Smith (the Cure), Wolfmother, Franz Ferdinand, Mark Hoppus (blink 182), Motion City Soundtrack, Shinedown, and most suprisingly Avril Lavigne whose "Alice" I think I might like best of all.

2 Responses to “Almost Alice”

Redheaded Golem said...

Unlike 'Avatar' - this was shot in 2-D, and then converted to 3-D. I'm curious if it makes a big difference in the quality.

Tim Killeen said...

Damn. I decided to see Alice in 3D and Avatar in 2D. I'm sure it makes a difference. 3D just never felt worth the money or eve necessary in this one.