Friday, January 2, 2009

Johnny Cupcakes


Today we learn about Johnny Cupcakes, an indie clothing company which started as a joke from the trunk of a dented 89 Toyota Camry. As an appreciator of all things unique, business, and diy, I especially love Johnny Cupcakes which combines the three. Their story, which I recommend reading, tells of a company that could have distributed wholesale to chains but instead chose to stay limited, exclusive, and ultimately unheard, effectively embracing the idea that some people don't like having what everyone has. It's an interesting business model, which I look forward to hearing more about. I hope it succeeds because it proves that not all successful business owners are looking to "go public." Johnny Cupcakes now employs his entire family and a lot of friends and is a multi million dollar venture. I envy this company for so many reasons.

Website: Johnny Cupcakes

Also, their packages (even for just a t-shirt) are really cool. Check out some pictures from my flickr stream that I took of a Christmas gift I received, here, here, here,here, and here. Note how the t-shirt's tag looks like an oven mitt.

For those of us in the Philadelphia area, although we can't go to the storefronts in Boston or LA which sell their merchandise from what looks like a traditional bakery, you can pick up some JC merchandise online or at:

DEEP SLEEP
54 N Third St
Philadelphia, PA

One response to “Johnny Cupcakes”

BeachyCakes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.