Friday, September 25, 2009

Beatles Rock Band Review

Beatles Rock Band is a beautiful game that gives a brief glimpse into the band's career. In it, you choose an instrument and difficulty on which you'll play the instrument before being taken via photo collage to various venues the Beatles played throughout their career. It starts in Britain's storied Cavern and ends, of course, on the rooftop of Apple Records. There are 9 levels, but 3 of them are just various Abbey Road sessions so songs played on these levels are usually spiced up with some trippy visuals like THIS. Or maybe the Beatles used to play in open meadows a lot. Either way, it looks so fantastic that even Ringo's virtual avatar appears to be somewhat handsome. Aside from that, here are a few other things I like:

1. In between songs and on loading screens, Harmonix has placed rare audio clips of the Beatles in studio before and after takes along with other relevant audio clips such as Ed Sullivan's introduction of the band onto his show in 1964.

2. Scoring well on individual songs awards you hi-def photographs, video, and rare music clips that can be explored at any time. For example, one of the earliest prizes is an edited version of the band's fan club Christmas record from 1963.

3. Unlike other Rock Band versions, this game allows for multiple vocalists: one lead and the rest harmonizing. I haven't used this feature yet, but I assume it's challenging and a welcome addition. It certainly adds an element of authenticity to your career as a Beatle.

4. The game seems to cater to parties and players new to music video games. It's quite simple to join in for a song and then drop out whenever you like. Also, choosing Easy Mode automatically puts you in "no-fail" mode, meaning no matter how awful you are the Cavern goers won't boo you off stage.

5. It makes you appreciate the proficiency of the musicians. I knew George was an excellent guitarist, but I think all these years I've been underrating Paul's bass skill and Ringo's creativity on the drums.

(Speaking of which, it's true playing a plastic guitar is no substitute for the real thing, but playing the plastic drums, I hear, is very close to what it's like to play the real thing.)

I realize it's just a game, but here are some things I would change if I could:

1. The UI is boring and simple.

2. The game should tell you who is credited with writing each song and who sings which parts. The way it is now the lead singer is the lead singer regardless of whether or not the song uses more than one lead (Eight Days a Week, for example).

3. I would add a "hardcore" version of the game that forces you to choose one of the band members and then perform that person's duties for each of the songs. For example, you'd choose Paul and have to play the bass on most songs and switch between lead and backup vocals as you go. It would require 4 players and 4 mics, but I'm okay with that. I'm just saying it should be an option.

4. Lastly, I really have to question the song selection. It really seems like the makers of the game tried so hard to include George and Ringo in the singing duties that the 45 songs in the game's song selection are disproportionate to the Beatles' career. For example, the game seems to intentionally leave out Strawberry Fields Forever just so it can keep Ringo's cover of "Boys." As another example, 8 of the 45 songs are sung by George. I understand keeping songs like Taxman, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and Something, but in the first installment of this game did they need to include I Me Mine and Within You/Without You? But at least George wrote those songs. This game also includes 5 Ringo songs! I say they should have drawn the line with Yellow Submarine and Octopus' Garden since he actually wrote it. I might add Act Naturally, but again, personal preference.

As a result of the song selection, some songs are not as fun to sing. I realize this is personal preference too and probably a result of having less knowledge of some of these, but here are the songs I can't stand to have to try and sing: Birthday, Dig a Pony, Hey Bulldog, I Me Mine, Within You Without You, Tomorrow Never Knows, I Wanna Be Your Man, Boys, The End.

On the plus side, most of the songs are fun to sing and play along to. After all, it's the Beatles. Here are some personal favorites: Good Morning Good Morning, Taxman, Paperback Writer, Here Comes the Sun, And Your Bird Can Sing.

Having played with several people, I can say that the best part of the game is that everyone's experience and tastes are just as diverse as the Beatles' catalog, so there's something for everyone.

No response to “Beatles Rock Band Review”