Thursday, September 24, 2009

American Id...iot

When Green Day released its 2004 album American Idiot, it was met with a swarm of Tommy and The Wall comparisons for its uniform theme surrounding its central character, "Jesus of Suburbia." I understood the comparison on a basic level but I assumed the album could never work on film or stage because of its lack of any cohesive plot. I remember "rock opera" becoming the buzz phrase to describe American Idiot almost to the point of annoyance

Well, someone's since attempted to write a plot, and American Idiot made its debut as "musical theatre" in Berkely, CA this week. They say if it does well you can expect to see it on Broadway, but for now it seems the rehearsed singing of these trained actors sounds like it would ruin the energy of the original music. I'm told the set looks like it's been stolen from Rent. I think I'd have to learn more about this supposed plot before I'd sign up to see something like this, and I consider myself a huge Green Day fan.

Check out some video from a news cast HERE.

No response to “American Id...iot”