Monday, May 4, 2009

Stink Bugs


I went to a college with old, creaky buildings that were home to many members of the insect family. During the warmer months it was not uncommon to see a silverfish scurry across the wall while you were trying to sleep. This was the place and time (2003) that I first became acquainted with stink bugs. I had never seen one back at home in all my youth playing around in dirt and playing sports outdoors. Never. Now, graduated and back in the house I grew up in I see them all the time. I've sworn for a few years that I brought them home from college with me.

This article suggests I might be right. Technically.

The good thing is that stink bugs aren't particularly smart or malicious insects. They move really slow and as such are really easy to kill. It's almost as if it lets you kill it, as it doesn't even try to get out of the way, and they have no way of defending themselves. The stink is emitted only when they feel threatened, but even that's not all that bad as it washes off with soap. The only real danger they present is looking creepy. Damn things look like the mirelurks from Fallout 3.


In other news: what the hell is the Bulletin, and why is it "Philadelphia's Family newspaper?"

2 Responses to “Stink Bugs”

Redheaded Golem said...

Here's an interesting stat - the new Bulletin has a daily ciculation of 100,000... slightly more than the Daily News, and twice that of the Delco Daily Times (at least according to Wikipedia).

I just heard about the paper for the first time TODAY.

Redheaded Golem said...

Update on The Bulletin ... it ceased publication effective yesterday (6/1/9).