Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Stay Thirsty, My Friends

There's no doubt that the best commercial on tv right now is the one for the Dos Equis "The Most Interesting Man in the World" ad campaign. Despite similar filming techniques and the overall theme and feel of this commercial, it was in fact NOT directed by Wes Anderson. Trust me, I checked.

The link referenced above goes to a pretty good blog about advertising that often comments on new commercials, good or bad, citing lots of the details you never wanted.

In contrast to this post, the absolute worst commercial right now includes Verizon and ice cream sprinkles.

2 Responses to “Stay Thirsty, My Friends”

UncleAllan said...

I think it's disgusting that a beer ad encourages its consumers, pun intended, to "stay thirsty". If you're drinking beer to quench your thirst, but you "stay thirsty" anyway, then you're obviously going to keep drinking, and drinking, thinking that at some point your thirst will be quenched, which it won't because, as the commercial advocates, you will "stay thirsty". This will keep the drinker drinking, and drinking, and drinking, until he gets cirrhosis of the liver and dies. An alcoholic doesn't know when to stop, and if the ad is telling him to essentially keep drinking, then he will indeed die. Not a very responsible ad campaign if you ask me.

Tim Killeen said...

And I thought I was cynical...

Christ, Uncle Allan, you're overthinking this one. If your point is mainly that beer companies shouldn't be able to promote their product on tv (like cigarettes), that's a valid and honorable point. But since they're allowed to under current law I think Dos Equis is just using humor to compete. Nobody thinks to themselves "well if the most interesting man in the world is telling me to 'stay thirsty' I had better keep drinking beer."

Also, the character in the commercial makes a point to say "I don't always drink beer, but when I do...it's Dos Equis." So, don't discount that. Have a little faith in people. Ther will always be alcoholics, but none who are that way because of a clever ad campaign.