Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Got My Mind Set on You: George Harrison

Hardly anyone ever says that George was their favorite Beatle, a fact which is easy enough to understand given John and Paul's prevalance and Ringo's Ringoness. But what if you were only assessing their post-Beatles careers. Wouldn't George at least have a fighting chance? He was a guy who, aside from the sitar phase, could always just rock. Plus, as we learned last week he had an impressive circle of friends. And of course, there was always While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

As a kid I always loved the video for a song called Got My Mind Set On You from Harrison's "Cloud Nine" album. I had no idea that the guy singing it was a former Beatle, and it didn't matter because the song rocked. The video was pretty funny for it's time (1987), though the "effects" are pretty lame. Check out the 2:00 mark when "George" inexplicably gets up to dance, and then the 2:14 mark when poor editing can't help but reveal that the real George hasn't moved a damn inch. Click on the picture above to see the video.

No response to “Got My Mind Set on You: George Harrison”