Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Por Favor Manténgase....

I've been putting together a list of odd things I want to accomplish for the 6 days I'm in Disney World. I'll still be seeing the typical attractions, but I'm also excited about some of the other random things I can do. I just started the brainstorming, but I like what I have so far.

1. Re-create a photo from past Disney trips. Lots of people do this, but I haven't been to WDW since 1996, so this could be interesting. Here's one, but this one would be hard to re-create (although all of these people will be in attendance)given the state of the castle and I'm sure a family photo will take place in similar proximity anyway simply because that's what people do. I can do better.

2. Shun all of the Disney character attempts to say hello to me, but be really, visibly excited to meet "Bert" the chimney sweep from Mary Poppins. Is it chimney sweep Bert or One-Man-Band Bert? Is it a real brit, or a cheap Van Dykian imposter? I'll find out.

3. Record audio of the monorail's "stand clear of the door" warning, specifically for the awesome spanish translation, "Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas."

...is what I would have made #3 if this hadn't already been done for me by the internets.

See, it was during that last Disney trip in '96 that my family and I (just me and my brother) started to memorize that line, simply because we heard it so often on our monorail trips and the spanish part is admittedly fun to say. But when we came home to 1996 suburban Philadelphia the technology just wasn't there for us to be able to hear it again. No matter how many alta vista searches and web crawls I performed, I just couldn't find a .wav file that didn't take 9 days to download on our very normal dial-up Prodigy connection. Fast forward to 2010, 10+ years since I'd even given the phrase a thought I do a google search and it turns out thousands of people are obsessed with the monorail audio, so much so even that when WDW retired the original voice actor's entire monorail speech, they KEPT the "stand clear of the doors" portion of his speech and replaced the rest with someone new. Not only that, but they sell t-shirts with the popular spanish phrase IN THE PARK (see above).

So until next time, por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas.

One response to “Por Favor Manténgase....”

Redheaded Golem said...

You once perfectly described the smell of the lobby of the "Contemporary" hotel. Something to do with pancake syrup. It was then that I knew you were a Blogger with considerable chops.