Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Web Sheriff

You may have noticed that my last post was paid a visit by Web Sheriff on behalf of the legal team of whichever recording company Bob Dylan used to produce his Christmas album. I think it's Sony, but Dylan usually works with Columbia and I don't know what's going on with mergers anymore. Apparently the youtube video I posted was not the officially licensed video which can be found at Dylan's myspace page. I was not asked officially to take it down, so I won't until it becomes inactive.

If you haven't figured it out already, Web Sheriff is a real company hired usually by entertainment giants to protect against copyright violations on the internet, usually by means of take-down issuances. I think the fact that Dylan's Christmas album is for charity makes this less of a copyright violation and more of a free plug to the many thousands of readers I have which is why I think a take down notice was not issued.

My policy on using youtube, skremmr, and grooveshark will not change as a result of this visit. Commence dancing in the streets.

2 Responses to “Web Sheriff”

Redheaded Golem said...

Why does WEB SHERIFF have an overseas phone number?

Tim Killeen said...

According to wikipedia, Web Sheriff, is based in the UK. Not much additional information is provided though.