Saturday, December 19, 2009

Top 10 of 2009 - Music

8. Them Crooked Vultures

As far as I'm concerned, anything Dave Grohl touches turns to gold. But that didn't stop me from being cynical about his new "super group" Them Crooked Vultures, specifically because I'm not a fan of Josh Homme's (Queens of the Stone Age) vocals.

This formula works here, though. Maybe it's John Paul Jones' leadership that keeps the pieces together, but this album makes me appreciate Homme's voice. Overall, the album is the only straight punch-you-in-the-gut rocker I listened to this year. No gimmicks, no pop copouts, and as a result it's been a staple of my collection throughout, and one of my favorite "gym albums."

What do they sound like? A mixture of Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters, and John Paul Jones, of course. And that could only be a good thing.
Them Crooked Vultures - No One Loves Me & Neither Do I
Found at skreemr.com

No response to “Top 10 of 2009 - Music”