Friday, August 28, 2009

Reading Rainbow

Butterfly in the sky, I can go twice as high,Take a look, it's in a book — Reading Rainbow ...

Well folks, say goodbye to another one of my childhood favorites. The PBS Series Reading Rainbow, hosted by Kunta Geordi LaVar Burton came to an end today, concluding a 26 year run as one of the network's most important programs. Thanks a lot, recession.

I loved Reading Rainbow as a kid, and I believe it aided in my ongoing love affair with reading. But even back then I think I appreciated the irony involved when kids would watch it so they didn't have to read the books the show introduced. Even LaVar Burton knows you can't win 'em all.
Reading Rainbow, you will be missed. But you don't have to take my word for it...


Okay, I didn't know the show was still on in 2009, but I sure hope they've updated the opening sequence since the last time I tuned in.

One response to “Reading Rainbow”

Redheaded Golem said...

Reading Rainbow must hold the record for current series airing the oldest repeats - if that's such a thing. I caught one last year from 1984, and they still show the "behind the scenes from Star Trek: The Next Generation" episode (which was from the late '80s) in regular rotation.