Thursday, June 25, 2009

Michael and Michael Have Issues

Starting July 15th Comedy Central will start airing episodes of the new Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter sketch comedy show titled Michael and Michael Have Issues.

Far be it from me to pass judgement on the show before it even starts, but I'm just wondering how many chances Comedy Central is going to give these guys to be the main players in a show that people will watch. I certainly have to give them credit for a lot of their writing endeavors, and I'll even say that they've done good work acting in other people's work (Reno 911 for example), but I still don't buy Showalter and Black as lead guys. Original members of The State have found a lot of ways to be funny behind the scenes (Wet Hot American Summer and Role Models come to mind), but really Reno 911 is the only successful example I can think of with State members at the acting helm too. Stella was no good. Viva Variety was no good. The Showalter Showalter? Eh. I'm wishing the best of success to these guys, but let's face it, Dave Chappelle these guys ain't.

In case the show fails, I still recommend their blogs:
http://www.michaelshowalter.net/
http://michaelianblack.typepad.com/

No response to “Michael and Michael Have Issues”