Friday, October 3, 2008

Interviews

A few days after I wrote the post about breakfast, someone broke a few of my breakfast rules (all of them, actually, and yes, the Monday breakfast included a quiche). The event sent me into hiding yet again, for I felt I was being put on. I still have my suspicions about being found out, but alas we forge ahead.

I wrote some time earlier about interviewing for a new position. Well, I got that position and so now I write from a roomier cube along a corner of the building which makes me feel like I have an office with a view. I find interviewing far less nerve-racking than some of my peers. I attribute this to being young (I'm 23). At this very early point in my career I don't feel any pressure to move up any corporate ladders. They either want me or they don't, but I refuse to be hired based on the premise that I'm something that I'm not. So interviews always offer the opportunity for me to see the interviewer's expression when I assert my opinions with fierce, unwavering, brutal honesty. I interject some humor here and there, flash a smile when necessary, and try to look as good as possible, and so far the result has always been positive. It all works because I'm very cold. To me it's just an anonymous corporate job, the kind that a department can probably find ways to swallow up and accomplish with one less employee should costs need to be cut. So why sweat a promotion like that? And yet I know of several people who sweat these types of situations. So, I say this as advice: unless the job you're interviewing for is what you've always dreamed of or represents a pay increase of 5K or more, just be yourself.

No response to “Interviews”